Do you think applying a face serum is a bad idea for treating your acne? If so, then you underestimated its potential. It just takes the combination of right carrier oils and essential oils to make a face serum perfect for your skin. So, in this post, I will be sharing a DIY face serum recipe for acne. This face serum also works great for treating oily skin, fading acne scars and dark spots.
This face serum recipe contains carrier oils like jojoba oil, argan oil, hemp seed oil. These carrier oils are non-comedogenic, meaning they are unlikely to clog your skin pores.
When these carrier oils are mixed with essential oils like tea tree oil and lavender oil, you get a face serum that will help treat acne, scars and dark spots. So keep reading to find out how you can make this DIY face serum.
Benefits Of DIY Face Serum For Acne, Dark Spots, & Oily Skin
- Jojoba oil contains powerful antimicrobial properties. This helps kill certain bacteria and fungi that cause acne. Scientific research suggests that jojoba oil contains anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and antifungal properties. It does kill certain bacteria and fungi that can cause salmonella, an E. coli infection, and candida(source).
- It prevents the overproduction of sebum(oil) in your skin. This helps in preventing acne caused by clogged pores.
- It contains anti-inflammatory properties that soothe swelling and redness caused by acne. In a study, it was found that a clay jojoba oil facial mask was effective in healing skin lesions and mild acne. The participants who applied jojoba oil masks two to three times per week saw a significant decrease in inflammation, lesions, and acne(source).
- It works great for treating acne scars and wound healing. According to a study done at the Department of Environment and Life Sciences, the jojoba oil helps in wound healing by stimulating collagen synthesis(source).
- Argan oil is high in linoleic acid which helps in reducing inflammation. This anti-inflammatory property of argan oil makes it one of the best carrier oil for acne.
- It also controls excess sebum production in your skin because of its anti-sebum activity. This keeps skin from looking oily, greasy and improve its appearance. Scientific study also suggests that a sebum control cream containing argan oil reduce the greasiness and improve the appearance of oily facial skin(source).
- It is a rich source of vitamin E which is a powerful antioxidant. This antioxidant property of argan oil helps remove damaged cells and stimulate cell regeneration. This allows the skin to keep new cells at the surface. Therefore fading acne scars and dark spots.
- When your skin lacks moisture, it produces more sebum than necessary to compensate for the lack of moisture. Hence causes acne. Hempseed oil hydrates your skin and regulates the skin’s sebum(oil) production.
- It contains omega-6 fatty acids which act as a powerful anti-inflammatory. This helps to reduce inflammation and irritation caused by acne.
- It has antibacterial and antifungal properties that kill acne-causing bacteria and fungi. These properties also protect your skin from dirt and other pollutants. Scientific study suggests that CBC contains anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal properties(source).
Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Tea tree essential oil contains antimicrobial activity that helps treat acne. A scientific study suggests that tea tree oil exerts antioxidant activity and antimicrobial activity against bacterial, viral, fungal, and protozoal infections affecting the skin. It is used for the treatment of acne vulgaris, seborrheic dermatitis, and chronic gingivitis(source).
- It is popular for its anti-inflammatory properties. Scientific research has proven that tea tree oil contains antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties(source).
- Tea tree oil is also an effective exfoliator. It removes excess oil, dead skin cells clogged in the pores. This makes your skin soft, smooth and also prevent further breakout.
Lavender Essential Oil
- Lavender essential oil works to unclog pores and kill harmful bacteria. This helps in treating acne and also prevents further breakouts.
- It is also great for reducing acne scars and dark spots. Its anti-inflammatory properties help lessen the blotchiness and redness of your acne. Lavender oil also helps in relieving pain that comes with acne inflammation.
- Stress can affect your body physically and cause acne flare-ups(source). Lavender Oil is known to reduce short-term and chronic stress and may decrease stress-induced acne breakouts.
How To Make DIY Face Serum For Acne
- 2 Tablespoons Jojoba Oil (Buy Here)
- 1 Tablespoons Argan Oil (Buy Here)
- 1 Tablespoon Hempseed Oil (Buy Here)
- 6 Drops Tea Tree Essential Oil (Buy Here)
- 6 Drops Lavender Essential Oil (Buy Here)
- Dark Colored Dropper Bottle (Buy Here)
- Add jojoba oil, argan oil, and hempseed oil into the dark-colored dropper bottle using a funnel.
- Now add essential oils carefully to the serum bottle.
- Shake gently to combine all the ingredients.
- Take 4-5 drops of face serum on your cleansed palm and apply the oil to the skin
- Massage gently for 2-3 minutes.
- You can apply the serum on your cleansed face twice a day, i.e. in the morning and in the night before bed.
- Be sure to do a patch test to make sure your skin does not have an adverse reaction to the oils used in the face serum. The inner forearm is a great place to do a test since the skin is delicate, similar to facial skin.
- Keep the glass container of face serum away from sunlight.
- Pregnant women, infants, and young children should avoid certain essential oils. So make sure to consult your medical practitioner beforehand.
- Do not put essential oils in your eyes, ears, nose or mucous membranes.
Essential oils are natural oils obtained from various parts of plants. This is one of the reasons why they are so effective and popular for acne, scars and various other skin ailments. Since essential oils are natural oils, they must be applied consistently to get great results. Now you have this amazing face serum recipe, so start applying it right away.
Which of these essential oils have you used for acne and blemishes before? Please let me know in the comments down below.
You might also like these posts on essential oils: